Your eyes are an important part of your health. There are many things you can do to keep protect them and make sure you are seeing your best. The offices of Retina Group of Washington – Maryland – Annapolis is committed to your vision health and by following these tips, you can greatly decrease the risk of developing a host of eye complications:
- Have regular eye exams: Visiting your eye care professional for a comprehensive dilated eye exam is the only way to really be sure your eyes are healthy. Many common eye diseases such as glaucoma, diabetic eye disease and age-related macular degeneration often have no warning signs. A dilated eye exam is the only way to detect these diseases in their early stages.
- Know your family’s eye health history. Talk to your family members about their eye health history. This will help to determine if you are at higher risk for developing a hereditary eye condition.
- Eat right. Research shows that there are real vision health benefits in eating certain foods such eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, (particularly carrots and dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, or collard greens) and fish high in omega-3 fatty acids (such as salmon, tuna, and halibut).
- Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight or obese increases your risk of developing diabetes and other systemic conditions, which can lead to vision loss, such as diabetic eye disease or glaucoma.
- Quit smoking or never start. Research has linked smoking to an increased risk of developing age-related macular degeneration, cataract, and optic nerve damage, all of which can lead to blindness.
- Wear your shades. Sunglasses help protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. When purchasing sunglasses, look for ones that block out 99 to 100 percent of both UV-A and UV-B radiation.
- Give your eyes a rest. If you spend a lot of time at the computer or focusing on any one thing, you sometimes forget to blink and your eyes can get fatigued. Try the 20-20-20 rule: Every 20 minutes, look away about 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds. This can help reduce eyestrain.
Your healthy vision is our top priority
At the office of Retina Group of Washington – Maryland – Annapolis, we’re dedicated to providing the highest quality of skilled and compassionate retinal eye care. For more information on our office and the many services we provide, give us a call today.